Shop Recommendations for Head Gaskets

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Austin1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Austin1

Austin1 New Member

Hey, I was curious if anyone had a recommendation for a shop to get head gaskets done at. I will be purchasing a 2007 Outback (non-turbo) that needs them replaced. I am south of the metro, but would probably drive up for the right shop. I've gotten estimates from a few places, including JM Automotive, Turbo Tim's Anything Automotive, and Subaru Surgeons Inc. Estimates were around $2300 for head gaskets, timing belt, tensioner, idlers, and water pump. What did you pay for your head gasket job? Thanks!

2. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

klutz, Krazylegz1485 and Nhibbs like this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Subaru ownership...been there, done that.

4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

"I've gotten estimates from a few places, including JM Automotive, Turbo Tim's Anything Automotive, and Subaru Surgeons Inc."
    One of those is not like the others. Stay far far away from Subaru Surgeons!
    I have heard mixed reviews about Turbo Tim's and I would only go there if it was way more convenient/close to your house.

JM knows Subarus and will treat you right.

GrawvyRobber, ocie and pleiades like this.
  5. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I'll second that

6. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Fourth-sies!

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, our Outback was $2400 - $2500 at Morrie's Minnetonka Subaru a few years ago, so the quote you have is in the ballpark. Engine came out and rear main seal was done at the same time. They used gaskets from the turbo engine as they felt they are longer lasting than the OE gaskets for the naturally aspirated engine.

9. kevinweiman

kevinweiman New Member

I have a 01 forester, that had to need heads, timing, and water pump. Got it done in 4 days by Elite Auto Care in Northfield. 2200$

10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

If you're looking for south metro, check out DG Auto Repair and Service. Pat Doyle owns and runs the place, and he used to be a head mechanic at a local Subaru dealer.

He runs a very clean, well organized shop and he's very easy to work with. Fair labor rates as well. He installed a new short block (among other things) into my STI and it was trouble-free for me, and is still running perfectly for the new owner.
    https://www.facebook.com/dgautorepairandservice/