Shoutbox

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by MNBD, Apr 20, 2013.

1. MNBD

MNBD Member

Do we have the capability to run a live shoutbox feature? I think it would be fun!

Moderators, what do you think?

ofspunk7 likes this.
  2. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I am also for this

MNBD likes this.
  3. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I'm not, just cuz ofspunk is for it

ofspunk7 likes this.
  4. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

It'll end up like the word cloud did. Abused.

5. MNBD

MNBD Member

We could always implement a "payban" system. Users can donate certain amounts of money to temporarily "ban" someone from either the shoutbox, and/or the entire forum. It's a good way to produce revenue that can then be put towards dyno days, or other events. Rates I've seen are around $1/day to ban someone from the shoutbox. $5/day to ban someone from the shoutbox and forum. You can view all the forums when you're paybanned, but cannot post.

I got this idea from this forum I've been on for a long time. Sometimes all the main members just end up banning each other for the hell of it. But we had some SWEET prizes on dyno day because of all the revenue it brought in!

Purple = paybanned

[​IMG]

6. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Uh, how about not. Payban would get really ****ing annoying, that's mn passive aggressive douchey bull**** at it's absolute finest.

7. ofspunk7

The ban shiP is a dumb idea.

Shout box works fine on other Subie forums. I don't see a reason not to use it (if it is an option).

8. MNBD

MNBD Member

It's more for the fun. It does act as a bullshard filter.

But it's not for every forum, I understand that. Just throwing ideas out there.

I'm glad you're for it! It's nice being able to have at least half a conversation with forum members during the day.

9. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

yeah the pay ban would not work here because this forum has like 10 times the amount of traffic, would get way to hectic. It works great on style because its slow and gives the members something fun to do and lets face it they need it to make money. Here we have enough members that it survives other ways. (you can always donate). I do however like the shoutbox idea, but I have a feeling it will get clogged with people too lazy to search and start threads, "what kind of oil do I use in a subaru?"....also there used to be a mnsubaru chat room but no body used it ever.

10. ofspunk7

Who cares? Its in chat vs a thread then. It is a nice way to BS and get quick answers

11. derp

derp Well-Known Member

hey so what kind of oil do i use in a subaru? i heard a greddy blowoff valve will make my **** faster. any1 kno were i cn bought a body kits?

MNBD likes this.
  12. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

gets annoying when your trying to chat and people keep asking dumb questions...

13. MightyP

MightyP Member

Shout box works pretty well on clubwrx.net. There is definitely a lot of random BS in the main chat but you can always start a different chat box with someone if you have something to talk about and the random is too much.

A chat box would've saved a certain someone from starting a new octane thread because he apparently doesn't know how to search correctly. :rolleyes:

ofspunk7 and MNBD like this.
  14. MNBD

MNBD Member

Don't forget, "MAH KARR DYIEDE WUT IZ DA PROBLEM!?!?!?!?!"

or

"JUZ BAWT A SICK 500HP STI, WHERE IZ DA OIL DRAIN PLUG?"

bduncs and MightyP like this.
  15. ofspunk7

Pretty sure we have all been that person. It makes no sense to not have chat because someone might ask a question... to top that off a question you assume is common knowledge

16. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

We will have to look into it. I ran a webbased chat feature on t3hw00t for about a year. The amount of traffic that it drew caused my host to threaten me with a bump in yearly fees due to the backend load it caused. Not sure if the systems are more efficient now, but I doubt it. Any chat/shoutbox type feature requires persistent connection to a degree. This increases the data throughput requirements considerably. Right now, you view the page, and occasionally there is a forced refresh that checks for changes, which is why occasionally you will get a popup notification about new inbox messages or alerts for likes or new replies. With a shoutbox, we would need to bump that up to keep it "real time" otherwise, it serves no purpose beyond what posting in a thread can do.

I'll run it by WRX1.

MNBD likes this.
  17. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

It is something that can be added and it is something we have had in the past. I know I have asked about it before and all I got was crickets.

I know there is a add-on that doesn't use much for resources, but it is a paid add-on. I will have to check into it to see how much it costs and kinda go from there. If this is something that will get used, I have no problems adding it, I just don't want to spend all the time/money to get it added into the system, then it never gets used after the 1st month.

I will have the site down for a day coming up so I can do some updates and upgrades, so this would be a good time to get it added to the site if there is enough interest.

Russ

MNBD likes this.
  18. ofspunk7

Thanks Russ.

19. MNBD

MNBD Member

Cool! I'm excited to see how it goes.

20. derp

derp Well-Known Member

HOW I MINE FOR FISH

21. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

Minecraft

22. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I have installed a shoutbox. I am going to test it out for a few days with the mod group to make sure we get everything to our liking before we go like with it.

Russ

MNBD, MightyP, ofspunk7 and 1 other person like this.
  23. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just a bit of a update.

The shoutbox is live. You can click on the "shoutbox" icon in the header or click this link.
    http://mnsubaru.com/chat/

I will also be adding some widgets to get a "live" box on the main forums, I just need to play around with placement and size. The current main box can also pop-out, so you can still chat along with surfing your favorite MNSubaru threads.

And since some of you just can't help yourself and keep your mouth shut, please read this thread.
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/help-i-...iot-and-i-got-banned-from-the-shoutbox.42702/

Russ

idget and Jason@DB like this.
  24. readymix

BAM!

25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

This is all I see :(

26. readymix

The moderators held a vote for the first half of the day on who to allow into the chat...I'm sure you can put 2 and 2 together.

Mr.Tran likes this.
  27. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

yeah, I may have spoke too soon.

Looks like I really need to get the system optimized for the new hardware so we don't keep getting errors, so for now I have closed the shoutbox. I will update this thread when We are able to go live with it again.

Russ

28. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, lets give this another try. Hopefully this time around we won't run into any memory issues.

Russ

MightyP, BroCo and readymix like this.