Sleep Number Beds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BroCo, Aug 31, 2018.

1. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

The Wife and I are are contemplating purchasing a Sleep Number Bed. I have read all sorts of mixed reviews, seems you either love it or hate it.

Just wondering if any of you fine folks own a sleep number bed and have any feedback.

Thanks!

2. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

I have one, its good. The sleep number store drives me crazy because they make buying anything a much bigger deal than it needs to be. This is only my second bed as an adult, so I'm no mattress connoisseur, but I do like it.

BroCo likes this.
  3. BroCo

We went in yesterday and it was pretty painful to listen to all of the BS. I liked the bed but wanted to hear from others before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for your input!

4. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I've slept on a Sleep Number numerous times since my parents have one in their guest bedroom. TBH, I hated sleeping on it every time. I bought a new mattress this spring and went with a Leesa. 10/10 would buy again.

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

They seem kinda spendy for an air mattress? :p

Aegis and ocie like this.
  6. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

These are my thoughts exactly.

7. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

My parents had a really old model (like 12ish years old)and my mom hated it. The “wall” between the chambers didn’t really keep the former side from pushing the softer side and making it more firm. So the soft side had to be super soft, and then when in the bed alone it was the half flat air mattress effect.

That being said they replaced it with a new one with the wireless remotes and the cell phone sleep tracking. And they both like it much better. I’ve never slept on it but I do know that the wall in between the chambers isn’t as sold and pronounced as the old one.

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Tempurpedic memory foam here. Love it even though it was overpriced, but how do you put a price on a good night's sleep? There are other players in this category now and I wouldn't hesitate to try them out. Sometimes the innovator doesn't always have the best product, and rarely the best price point.

The in-laws had a Sleep Number bed with the adjustable frame. Had to replace a motor on it...I remember thinking what a cheaply constructed POS it was once you crawled under it and saw what it was made of...kind of like some cars in my past.

DIRTY D, readymix and Aegis like this.
  9. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Same here. Had a very expensive inner spring pillow top before, but after a short amount of time it was killing my back. Eventually got the tempurpedic and it’s been amazing. (Though you do notice when you are sleeping on a different bed like a hotel more I feel)

My sister just got a nectar and they say they like it.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another tempurpedic when it’s time to replace this one.

10. tangledupinblu

We bought an all organic latex mattress. Also spendy like a temperpedic, only a little more adjustable from my understanding.

I work construction and need something the is soft but supportive like a firm mattress. The latex is both(somehow-magic).

Don’t personally have any experience with the select comfort. But they are still around and going strong, so they must be decent!

11. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

My wife had a sleep number prior to us getting married. It developed mold inside the foam liner against the air bladder. After that, never again.

12. tangledupinblu

I’ll ask...how did it get wet?:frantic:

predavore likes this.
  13. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Real answer... I believe the air temp of the air bladder changes too fast when someone gets into bed causing condensation. It was always cool for about 10 minutes. Then felt too warm.

Guy answer...

[​IMG]

tangledupinblu likes this.
  14. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

If I remember right, years ago they had real issues with mold and I think it came close to sinking the company. I think it was back when the company name was Select Comfort. And I think the name change to Sleep Number was to distance themselves from the bad pub. I am old with a slowly failing memory though.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  15. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Overpriced air mattress that develops mold, and remember when the pump decides to cycle on in the middle of your slumber your going to wish you went another route!
    My neighbor had one for about a week.

Krazylegz1485 and predavore like this.
  16. GotGrip?

GotGrip? Member

Go with Leesa Mattress or Purple Mattress, both come with a 100 day trail with free pick up if you don't like it. My wife and I ended up with the Leesa and it is pretty awesome.

17. ericthegoalieman

ericthegoalieman Well-Known Member

I thought this place was pretty cool when I was looking for a new mattress, they have a variety of the online only mattresses so you can try them in person.

https://sleepsherpa.com/showroom/

18. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to Sleep Sherpa, didn't care for anything they had for the price and ended up purchasing a Novosbed online, which we love. We went with the medium firmness, it feels really firm the first week or two, but after that is perfect.

https://www.novosbed.com/

19. GotGrip?

GotGrip? Member

20. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

...Or try Costco's beds, they're expensive for the good ones, but really comfy. Had ours for over a year, and decided we didn't like it, they came and picked it up for free and credited the entire purchase back to our account.

21. BroCo

We ended up buying a Sleep Number Bed and I really like it.

Thanks for all of your input.