Summer tires - I'm looking for suggestions on good performance and relatively low road noise.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by klutz, Aug 28, 2017.

1. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Hey all - I will likely be in the market for some new summer tires next season and wanted to start searching now, because why not?

I currently have the stock Dunlop Sport Maxx that comes with the 2016 WRX and they seem very loud on the road. As far as performance goes, these are sticky/stiff enough for my needs but are just too loud. Consider that my old and cranky side complaining.

I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

2. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Michelin pilot super sports

jubella2 likes this.
  3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

When I had my Continental DW tires they were a pretty stick yet fairly quiet tire. Great in rain as well. They get rock hard under 40 degrees or so though.

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I'll second the extremecontact dw.

Don't let them get under 40 degrees.

5. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

+1 for these.

6. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

I'm a personal fan of the Bridgestone potenza pole position s04. It's the only tire I've gotten (twice) so I can't say how they compare to other sets out there.

I have them on my sti that I daily and don't have a lot of road noise that I notice, which is saying something because I'm a bit of an auto hypochondriac when it comes to car noises.

They last about 15-20k(?) with spirited weekend driving habits. Literally, ymmv. From what I can tell, they won't break loose until the stock suspension seems to reach its limits.

The only downside, and I'm sure this is with all summers, is temp. I think mine makes noise from sitting over night until they warm up.

Mine need to be replaced next season and I might go with the s04 again. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

Edit: I should mention, the tires stick pretty well on wet roads. I think I'm close to 5/32 on my set now and just started having hydroplaining issues with the recent weather which is expected. I heard some tires don't handle water well but I was pretty impressed with my first set.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  7. GrumbleRumble

GrumbleRumble Well-Known Member

Another +1 for these. I love them.

8. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I like my Dunlop Direzza ZII's, but I don't have any track experience on them yet, nor do I have any real world experience in comparison to any other performance tire. This probably isn't much help :)

9. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Is road noise your only concern with the tires? What will you be doing with the car? Spirited Driving? Autocross?

I liked the Pole Position S04 tires when I had them on my G37 last summer. The road noise was pretty minimal, but then again it's a much newer car than my WRX.

I currently have Hankook Ventus V12 summer tires and they're great too, definitely in the same convo as the Pole Positions and Super Sports. That said, I think I've got a fair amount of road noise with them on my WRX, but that's comparing my experience in two totally different cars. I would imagine you'd have a much, much quieter drive in your 2016 WRX versus my 2003.

10. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I just bought some Kumho PS91 for my CTS-V and they are badass.

I have had Michelin PSS and these are just as good at a fraction of the price.

11. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Spirited driving mainly, nothing crazy. No auto-cross. I have a spare set of the dunlops that I got when I bought a second set of wheels and took them off in favor of winter tires. I'd burn those if I ever do a track day.

TLDR: main use will be everyday driving with fun on the on-ramps.