What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about the Crawford and have another friend who likes his. I like that they've deleted the PCV.

I drove around 300 miles after, and it doesn't appear to be leaking like it was. I'm sure the tape helps with that.

Later this summer I'll probably open up the AOS and clean it out. We ran out of time on Saturday.

2. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Easy fix if it's a v-band EWG :thumbup:

ryjacobs likes this.
  3. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

I'll have one going in soon (as in when I get unlazy enough to do it), what would you like? Feelings, pics of anything?

4. Sheeran

Sheeran Active Member

Changed my battery so I figured is check my air filter while I'm under the hood. 15 minutes later I had my DRLs disabled, changed a weak headlight bulb and saw how easy it will be to change out my cracked fog lights.

phi11 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nice! If you don't mind sharing how you like it, build quality, etc., that would be great. Thanks in advance!

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Had to do that almost immediately after we got our bugeye. Man I hate not being able to go "dark".

7. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

For sure. I can comment on the build quality already, just from my cursory inspection of it and the Crawford version that I traded to a local buddy for most of the price of a Koyo radiator. Crawford didn't have the quality feel to it, looked like something I'd buy off eBay. IAG AOS has a quality feel to it, heavier but with screw in connection points. I'll get a bit more thorough later on though, lol, and I'll just have the memories of the cursory inspection of the Crawford.

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I see, and yea, when you compare it to the cost of a radiator, the Crawford is about the same. It makes me a little sad that I spent that much, however the Crawford was the best aos on the market that actually functioned for Motorsports when I was in the market. There's always a catch can which is way cheaper, but that requires more maintenance...emptying, adding oil, etc.

GregRoot198521 likes this.
  9. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Finally finished installing my JDM fog lights and eBay lip. It'll look better when it's on the wheels and off the hub stands. 20150325_182610-1.jpg

silver03, DIRTY D, JuStaWRX and 5 others like this.
  10. leelt

leelt Member

Was fun putting this baby in and hopefully nf performance is free sat. To get it tuned image.jpg

Aluminati likes this.
  11. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Dropped the car off at NF. New short block and tons of goodies :)

leelt, Jake underwood and ryjacobs like this.
  12. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

IAG is the only AOS I'd go with. It's head and shoulders above anything else. That being said, I just run a T fitting and dump it under the car. LOL.

Matt - Awesome! Can't wait to see what it will do!

13. ryjacobs

The IAG looks good. I wish I would have had that one instead of the Perrin. Thankfully it seeks to be working (read: not leaking) now.

14. ryjacobs

This weekend I am going to throw my stock catback on and either post my Perrin for sale or stick it in my basement.

15. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

Finished most of this up last night/early this morning. Had a base map made and had it started/running for a bit, so hopefully this will all be finished up this weekend. Went a bit further on mods than I originally intended.
    [​IMG]

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  16. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Took the FXT on it's first official road trip to Iowa City last night. Averaged 30 mpg at about 65 MPH the whole way.

EDIT: Drove back a different way (to swing through Decorah) and ended up averaging 33.4 mpg. After getting home, I swung through the carwash, and popped off the center grille piece to clean and plasti-dip tomorrow. If it goes well and I like the look, will wrap in vinyl eventually.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Cotts612 likes this.
  17. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Omg rumblez! Lol Installed my Borla Hush catback this morning. Sounds and looks great! Perfect amount of rumble for me, any louder and I think I wouldn't like it. When i first started it sitting in the car, it seemed super loud and basey. Was a little worried at first, but i soon realized it's quieter at 70 than it is at idle.

After doing that, I now know that I need a lift. Seriously. I backed it up on ramps and all, but they're the low ramps so my front bumper can clear. Good thing im not claustrophobic! Them were some tight working areas.

And yeah, i know my car is filthy. It's going rain tomorrow, so free car wash! :D

20150328_155121.jpg

atacamaR, TMF and JuStaWRX like this.
  18. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Parked next to some c-artwork!

19. Cotts612

Oh yeah... That's my neighbors "art car" that had bone slices glued all over it. They started removing all of it, still looks horrible.

20. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Interesting....

Sounds like an episode of CSI that i saw once.

21. leelt

leelt Member

Looking good saw ur ride at nf when I went to get a stage 2 tune

Aluminati likes this.
  22. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Thats cool man! How's your car driving now? :)

I'm excited to get my car back.

23. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Clutch install completed! South Bend Stg 2 Daily. My initial impression is...that I'm impressed! Absolutely no shutter or harshness and close to stock pedal pressure - very smooth engagement. It should have no issue holding power on the e85 tune. I cannot wait to put my foot in it once the break in period is over.... :D

Aluminati and Ryan FailRad like this.
  24. leelt

leelt Member

my car is 50% tuned gotta get a new bpv disappointed with the one I bought

I bet but your ride looks nice tho. with your shifter

Aluminati likes this.
  25. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Hopefully you can get it up and running soon!

26. Krazylegz1485

A few things recently. Got a decent deal on a used AP and put on a Stage 2 tune to get by until I have time to make an appointment with somebody who knows what they're doing. Also scored an AOS recently and just put that in this evening after the sun finally came out. Took the intercooler off to make the install easier and flushed 'er out with gas while it was off. Awfully dark coming out of there.

Also tightened up the t-bolt clamps on the underside. Are there any secrets to making a better seal where the silicone hoses go between turbo and intercooler? I just have this weird feeling that no matter how many times I retighten these things it always sounds like I'm experience some sort of leak. Sounds more like a whoosh than a high pitched squeak or something. Maybe that's just what it sounds like going through the intercooler?

Sorry for the tard-ness, just been a while since I've been able to drive it under boost. Holy balls is it fun. Then the wife has me drive the Legacy to listen for a noise. Seriously felt like we weren't even moving...

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  27. AndyBoyee

AndyBoyee Well-Known Member

Replaced stock springs with Epic Engineering. Loving the drop. No more ugly gap on front fenders
    image.jpg

Krazylegz1485, xodad2 and TMF like this.
  28. JuStaWRX

Got in a battle with Plasti-dip today... Was hoping for a quick and easy project... mid section of the grille, and emblems...little did I know how tough it could be! I have dipped wheels now 3 times with zero issues, but those emblems are sure a pain! I peeled it all off twice because I really didn't like how it came out. Tomorrow I may try one more time. On the plus side I figured out how to take apart the whole grille assembly. The WRX was easy to just pop in and out. This one has four hidden screws plus clips and the push pins.

What I did find out was that the guy I bought it from at the dealer (this was the salesman's lease) plastidipped the grille too...however, he didn't take it out of the bumper at all, so he dipped the black part black...and then they tried to clear it off before the sale. Up close it looks awful. Luckily I have a bunch of goo gone which takes it off really quick and easy. Any tricks to cleaning out those more intricate parts (like the grille)? Photos to come tomorrow..

29. JuStaWRX

Put on the factory splash guards today. I have seen on other forums that many guys are putting their RA/Gorilla/Rok Blockz over these, but I really just like the clean, look of these ones. Every little project has exposed more of the previous owners use of the vehicle. When we took out all the clips and were prepping to put on the actual guard, I started to shake out the bumper side, and I kid you not, at least 1-2 lbs of dirt fell out and continued to come out of the seam around the reflector. On one hand, I am very curious to ask, "What exactly did you do with this car?!" and on the other hand, I am very much ok with just not knowing and leaving ignorance to be the bliss.

Also used some PB Blaster to loosen the nut on my relocation kit to better align the kit and tighten it down. Still not sold on the final turn out of the plastidipping for the grille/emblem. Probably will take another stab at it tomorrow or Saturday after C & C.

30. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Im prolly going to plasti dip some of the hood on my car tomorrow and see how that looks. Along with getting the headlights cleaned up with the 3m headlight restorer kit I bought from work.

31. ryjacobs

Drove the Suby down to the theater and watched Furious 7. Didn't attempt to drive under a semi on the way home.

32. Krazylegz1485

Weak. Better luck next time.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  33. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Review?

34. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

My car is finished. Sounds amazing and pulls like mad. Very pleased with the results. 24psi e85 tune 60-1 turbo.

I'll make a dedicated thread soon.

Happy the tumblers, fuel rails and block off plates I made went on with no issues.

CarpalTomO, EricS, joebush44 and 5 others like this.
  35. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

Installed my IAG AOS. Really nice part, but I'm seeing it complicating the reinstall of the TMIC when it occasionally has to come off.

36. IzzySTi

IzzySTi Well-Known Member

Sorry it wasnt today but its been a year of progress, and I dont get online as much as I used to but here is an update on the Build of 858V2

02 WRX (TonyM's old one.... makes us sound old)

Full FIA spec cage, seam welded and powder'd, logbooked....

Next step is 04 STi 2.5 motor build by NF, fab Xmembers and assembly......... then Whoopphhaaa hit stages and have fun Caged-Powder.jpeg

37. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, esp the color choice! Do you have a target for your first event with this build?

38. IzzySTi

IzzySTi Well-Known Member

Well the build has been slow, I want it to be perfect, and money is always a factor.... hoping for late in the '16 season.

39. Cotts612

I had my winter tires mounted on the stock rims, and my "summers" coughallseason, put on @TMF old Saabaru rims. They did a really nice job not to mess up the plasti dip on the rims! I was impressed. They also took the time to take a wire bristle grinder to the oxidized area's on the stockers. That's another +1 for Northwestern tire in my book!

TMF likes this.
  40. inposibrew

inposibrew Member

went stage 1 cobb tune finally got my accessport peaked at 16.5 psi

Aluminati likes this.
  41. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

Technically it was on Sunday, but I installed the Koyo radiator and the Moroso upper reservoir. Install was pretty painless beyond the typical blood and flesh sacrifices the car gods require

42. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Did you trim the radiator hoses down so the hose doesn't hit the cooling fans or the ps pump? Also, may I ask why you went with an aftermarket upper reservoir?

43. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

Nope, they aren't touching at all, so no need.

No, you may not. :/ Actually, I did it because I broke one of the nipples off the plastic one when I started the job, so I got one one day shipped from Amazon. Figured I might as well upgrade.

44. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

When I installed my new radiator nothing was touching, but after some hard driving I had a big coolant leak all over the place. I would recommend cutting down the hose for extra clearance even if you don't think it's needed.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  45. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

slow day in the office so i am curious if you or anyone know how the improved performance is quantified; i looked on GS website and found some plots, but didn't see any actual calculations. they talk about removing heat out of the air so it would be more dense and contribute to performance and from their plots it seems like in worst the delta temp between stock and their IC on the outlet would be 45F (75-30)... doing some maths based on that temp delta i get a ρ difference at the exit of about 6% (0.978kg/m3 vs 1.04kg/m3), i did this with an assumption of constant pressure of 13psi into the IC and accounted for the pressure drops posted by GS.

does that seem right?