What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Just put some stacks on it, problem solved!

carplow.jpg

jubella2, silver03, TMF and 2 others like this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

And a plow!!

3. 2013subiguywrx

2013subiguywrx Active Member

4. tangledupinblu

5. 2013subiguywrx

2013subiguywrx Active Member

ill get some pics tomorrow and post them
    heres a youtube link but this doesn't do it justice

6. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

hmmmm interesting...I've been considering getting a boost gauge for the wagon.

7. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Yesterday, @'15 WRX and I met up so I could drive his ride with a stage 1 + MAPerformance tune. Thanks again!!

Ugh, it was awesome. Warranty vs smoother drive? Warranty vs better performance?

tangledupinblu and '15 WRX like this.
  8. tangledupinblu

WRX or STi?

9. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

He has a '15 WRX limited, I have a '16 WRX premium. No STI.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Yup, sucks to lose warranty, but now you actually enjoy driving the car. I don't drive my car hard and actually figured perhaps the improved boost control would actually be more beneficial to the engine since it was not as wildly fluctuating and uncontrollable as the stock tune. That and I plan to keep everything else stock - not even going to consider an aftermarket air filter for the stock box. We've owned 3 other Subarus in the family and all have never had any problems (although, mine is the first turbo engine) and I religiously maintain my cars following recommended oil changes and service intervals.

I suppose one could always flash back to stock tune if warranty work is needed and hope they don't notice it. If you wait til after the factory warranty is done, you're still without warranty if you do the tune. If you purchased an extended warranty, then you may wish to reconsider the tune. Really, the stock tune isn't all that bad. I felt I got used to it pretty quickly. For me, 90% of the improvement was simply the pedal feel and getting rid of the on/off switch throttle.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. tangledupinblu

Well that definitely makes a difference!

EJ motor=keep warranty
    FA motor=tuuuuune it! lol

12. GrumbleRumble

GrumbleRumble Well-Known Member

0409171248.jpg
    Got a tint from @FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint , and I'm quite happy with it. Chris does fine work, highly recommended.

13. JasonoJordan

New front and rear endlinks on the OBXT as well as a fluid flush

Thanks
    @sti-fighter
    @Navar Hren

For coming and hanging out.

14. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

two things from this weekend.
    1. stopped by Morries for their pets and BBQ event on saturday.
    morries.jpg
    2. I drilled into the rain gutters in my '16 wrx to install fixed point roof rack points. Roof racks deliver this week, I'll put up pictures once it's done.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy clamp on racks. Drilling seemed like a better idea. Did I just type that? Yikes. This MNsubaru forum has really messed with my head.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  15. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Damn you've got some courage, sir.

Do the mounts come with some sort of "pert near guaranteed" leak proof hardware?

klutz likes this.
  16. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

I am using marine grade sealant, used for below water line type repairs to seal the holes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's good enough to keep a little rain out of the car ;)

Of course, my fingers will be crossed the first time I wash it!

17. sti-fighter

sti-fighter Member

I installed a new battery in my key FOB while @JasonoJordan fought with his end links. Thanks for letting me borrow a specialty tool (IE: box cutter) for the job!

18. JasonoJordan

Anytime bby.

19. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Drooling. Beautiful car!

Was trying to get out there, but didn't make it. I believe that shot is the same bay where I saw my first ever BRZ (At the MNS 10-Year event).

20. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I installed the armrest extension in my bugeye last night. I like it, but I'm still a little unsure if I'll keep it. So far, it doesn't seem to get in the way of my arm when I'm shifting.

21. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

Not exactly my subaru but my dad and I helped built this 818s at the build school last weekend. I'd love to buy one, but I think it would likely take me 400 hours to complete, and I'd need a lot more garage space....

[​IMG]

22. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Saweeeeet!

23. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Sorry for the multiple posts on this one, but I finally got the racks installed after drilling and installing some fixed points in my rain gutter. I'm excited to have a cleaner, more secure set up than clamps. I think that it was worth it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Did you use an 06/07 wrx donor car?

btw, you can buy them cheaper than it'll cost most people to source and build one:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forumdisplay.php?30-For-Sale-Factory-Five-Cars

25. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I have had two cars running a stage 1 tune and have never been denied warranty work at Morries, then again I am talking about COBB OTS maps. Still a better tune than stock which is generic for all types of octane ratings available in the U.S.. Again I have only ever dealt with Morries Minnetonka but I have heard of others running upgraded exhaust and stage1 tunes with no issues getting warranty work at other dealerships back when I lived on the East coast as well, pretty sure if no bolt on parts are under the hood you are relatively safe. I'm sure someone will counter my post with their bad luck tale or that technically the binary bla bla bla but this is my .02

26. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I'm not interested (yet) in going past a basic tune to go with my short shift, but not doing any deletes/bolt-ons so I'm glad to hear you haven't had any issues. I bought 2 cars (this one included) through Morries and have done all my service through them so I would hope they'd be kind on that front. +1 vote for a tune from @drac77

27. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

It was an 06, I believe - Aluminum LCAs.

Yep, I've seen that. In fact, I think somebody from MN bought the last one purchased from the forum (it might have been partially completed). If I were to build one, it would be for the build experience first - not the value nor the drive experience (although driving it would likely be pretty fun). Additionally, I think I would probably end up re-doing a lot of what somebody had already done if I bought a half-finished car.

Has anybody on mnsubaru built one?

28. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Nice, saw the 4pot/2pots and wheels and figured.

bionic-something-or-other was the last member to start a build that I can remember. Not sure if he finished or not.

29. tangledupinblu

Hey...someone is hiding in there!!?

30. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

Yep, that is likely my Dad (or his hand anyway).

31. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...what's going on here I wonder? What's missing and where did they go? Soon my friends, soon.

Attached Files:

tangledupinblu likes this.
  32. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

you tease.

tangledupinblu and silver03 like this.
  33. Krazylegz1485

Front mount and side pipes?!

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  34. tangledupinblu

That is exactly what i was thinking! lol

Btw Rick, she is going to love her new side pipes!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  35. Krazylegz1485

Make sure you warn her so she doesn't burn the backs of her legs on them!

tangledupinblu and silver03 like this.
  36. Jason C

Installed the JDM rear fog light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jubella2, JuStaWRX, joebush44 and 3 others like this.
  37. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

I dig it! It may be hard to tell from my perspective, but how bright is it compared to the tail lights? And how easy was it to install?

38. Jason C

Super easy to install. Took me maybe 30 minutes. Start by popping off the 4 bumper clips holding the rear bumper cover to the car and reach up inside to push out the plug and install the the light itself. There is already a hole in the wall of the trunk you can run the wire through. Pull out the clips holding the trunk liner up and push it aside to expose the driver-side tail light wiring and splice in the positive and negative wires. A flashlight two is highly recommended. Longest part was trying to map out the connector to find which wire I had to splice into to get the light to turn on with the tail lights. I wanted it to function JDM-style so as to not make it work as a low-mount brake light. Just wire it up to the solid black (negative) and the black/white (positive) for power when tail lights are on, or solid black and brown (positive) for brake light function. It doesn't have dual-intensity - either on or off.

I opted for a LED bulb so I won't have to deal with bulb changes but it comes with a regular incandescent. The stock bulb is about the same intensity as the rear tail lights, but the LED is way bright like when brakes are on. Had to wrap the LED bulb in 2 layers of 50% window tint to bring it back to stock intensity.

MilkyDaddy likes this.
  39. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

Thank you for the helpful install walk-thru! Sounds super easy, the way you put it. And I agree, the JDM style to turn on with the tail lights is definitely a plus. I'll have to give this a go when the time comes. Where did you order from, Subispeed? It looks like their base price is a little over $140.

40. Jason C

I ordered mine from Subispeed since my experience with them has been positive in the past. You can also get it way cheaper on E-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-15-Up-S...ke-Tail-Lamp-W-Mounting-Bracket-/322354889646

However, I am dubious of the authenticity/quality of the parts. The Subispeed model is genuine Subaru and comes in Subaru-labeled packaging. That area of the car gets a lot of crap thrown up inside so I didn't want to deal with leaky knock-off parts that I'd have to replace a year later. On the other hand, I've bought some seemingly crappy E-bay parts that have held up well over the years on my last car...

Do wear safety glasses when you're under the car. I usually do whenever I'm working on the car and I'm glad I did since I got showered in the face with sand and grit when I pushed back the bumper cover to remove the plug.

41. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

I've heard good and bad about Subispeed, but I may ask for an update sometime in the near future on how yours is holding up. Some forums talked about how their housings for their aftermarket tail lights aren't fully sealed, and condensation builds up over a period of months. But I really do need to get glasses. Forgot to wear glasses installing my exhaust a week ago, and had dirt and **** land in my eye.

42. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

I expect the same results as Peter Parker and the spider bite.

Krazylegz1485 and MilkyDaddy like this.
  43. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Jeff The Alignment guy mounted four new Hankooks for me yesterday morning. I went from 215/45/17 to 225/45/17 on 17x7 wheels. I'd like to get 18s, but I'm definitely happy with the way my car sits now.

[​IMG]

joebush44 likes this.
  44. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

How responsive was he to your email (assuming you emailed)? I sent him an email on Monday, but haven't heard back. Perhaps I should pick up the phone and call, but that's like, so 1995.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  45. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member