What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Thats not uncommon. He is a one man show and booked a week or two out this time of year. Not uncommon for him to work 10-12hr days this time of year. Email is the best way to get ahold of him. Its worth the wait.

joebush44 likes this.
  2. briancustoms

briancustoms Well-Known Member

Ditched my 18s and went back to the stock 15s and slapped some discs on them. Screenshot_20170506-211434.jpg

3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Dood... Yes.

When is it hitting the salt flats?!

Scratch that. Just drive it in the winter here for a week and then take a picture...

silver03 and briancustoms like this.
  4. briancustoms

briancustoms Well-Known Member

Yep. Winter roads here are probably as close as it will get to the salt flats.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Spent a bit of time on the WRX this weekend. Repositioned my light grille with spacers that were originally missing from the package so that it sits at the proper angle. Took off the wheels and applied a 2nd coat of POR15 on the calipers. The 2nd coat really helped smooth out the surface texture and I did my best to really hit all the little nooks and crannies I missed the first time. Nothing noticeably different looking in through the wheels, but it is evident up close. Last, I added the factory turn signals to my mirrors.

[​IMG]

6. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

IMG_1298.JPG No more guess work necessary...

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  7. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I dig the Loon plate too! I'm considering one for my bugeye - I think it would pop very nicely on my boring ass PSM paint.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  8. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

It does! When we had our 03 PSM WRX we had the loon plate on it and it looked nice.

ocie and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  9. Krazylegz1485

I'm pretty sure our car had loon plates on it when we got it...

ocie likes this.
  10. Jason C

Washed, clayed, and waxed the car. I also removed the AWD badge since I felt it was kinda redundant. Then noticed this a few hours later...

[​IMG]

Nuts. I hate condensation inside light housings. My OCD tendencies resulted in my tearing apart the front bumper cover and going over every nook and cranny with silicone sealer and then gently heating up the housing and trying to drive out all the moisture.

[​IMG]

Last, I put on seat back protectors because my kids like to kick the seat and are starting to scuff the leather. These are not bad for $10 on Amazon.

[​IMG]

Also installed LED bulbs in my kids' rooms and added a dimmer switch to make waking them up a bit less harsh than just flipping the switch and giving them the full brightness instantly. Played with the dogs, cleaned the garage, met my wife at her work for lunch, and played a little Nier: Automata. Not a bad day off!

11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Got it back from JMA! Tune feels fantastic and everything is solid as usual! Thanks Jesse and crew!

12. Jason C

Cool! So they can install parts and tune to suit? Thinking of going with a j-pipe in the near future as my next "major" mod. I lack a lift and really dislike wrenching under the car on my back. Is it much louder with a catted j-pipe over the stock one? I have the SPT exhaust and think the note is loud enough in-cabin. Perhaps I'd have to go to the stock exhaust if it is significantly louder...

13. tangledupinblu

They do installs AND toonz! Hopefully i can get the wife's car in for some wear items over the next few weeks

14. Krazylegz1485

Turbos are wear items right? Better go bigger...

15. tangledupinblu

So..,what you're saying is "turbocharge the N/A!?" I like it!!

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  16. tangledupinblu

Also...

And just so everyone's aware before the comments come in, I asked Devin to tune my car for the lower end of things. I wanted the boost to come on early and pull hard to about 5000 or 6000 RPMs. My car very rarely ever see's red line, and since I daily drive it, I wanted the power band to be in the middle(not at the top). Very happy with the results! And my butt Dyno is very pleased!
    IMG_7955.PNG
    IMG_7964.PNG

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    ocie, GrawvyRobber, JuStaWRX and 3 others like this.
  17. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Looks like it should be fun on the skreetz for sure!

18. tangledupinblu

Oh, it is indeed! Probably the most useful power band that i've ever had on her!

19. tangledupinblu

Summers are on. lol

IMG_7980.JPG IMG_7982.JPG

20. Krazylegz1485

My buddy from work picked up his first Subaru recently. 02 WRX sedan. Had a hellacious knock in the motor so we tore into it this week(end) to investigate. Ended up lucking out with a bunk timing tensioner that hadn't grenaded the motor yet. Fixed that and an obnoxiously squeaky clutch pedal and it's a totally different car.

On the other side of the garage he helped me with the install of a GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace in my car. Thoroughly satisfied with the difference it makes in pedal feel. Pretty sure I giggled the first time I hit the brakes.

21. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Switched to LEDs for the low beams as well. I am curious to see how I like them. They are sure bright...

22. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

More excited than I should be about this but this weekend I installed my aluminati tgv deletes after I found a leak at the valve itself. The car ran better but still needed improvements.

Today I made several tweaks to the tune and I finally see stable af learns, and af correction no longer oscillates like crazy. It's hard to see progress without a dyno but I can definitely feel an improvement to town driving.

I also got my oil analysis back from Blackstone and they said things looked pretty good except high silver counts, which could be from bearings. They suggest keeping an eye on oil pressure so I'll have to buy a gauge soon. Hopefully I don't throw a conrod bearing like in my wrx:frantic:

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  23. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

What brand of oil filter oil and whats your change interval?

24. Jason C

My WRX is my first car with LED low beams and I like them. Seem way brighter than halogen, but perhaps not the same level of cast as HID. Don't know. The WRX low beams are kinda odd with a projector lens and a rectangular lens next to it. Not sure if one is for distance and one for wide dispersion? Did you just pop in some LED bulbs?

JuStaWRX likes this.
  25. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Subaru oil filter, amsoil 5w30 and I changed at 3900 miles.

26. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I did the JDM ASTAR G1 LEDs from Amazon. They were a 5 minute swap out. I love that about the SJ - the lights are really slick to swap bulbs. My old WRX was a little more of a process with the battery in the way. They are super bright, and seem to be plug and play for leveling. I haven't done much night driving since, but will be tomorrow night, so I hope that I can get a better feel for how they are, and if they are too bright.

Jason C likes this.
  27. Jason C

I was looking for a set of H4 LED bulbs for my wife's 2011 CR-V. The stock halogens are horrible and to make matters worse, her car eats bulbs - 1 set every 1.5 years or so it seems. She always drives with her lights on so I won't ever fault her for doing that, but changing bulbs is kind of a hassle since space is a tad tight behind the headlamp housings. I also heard some of the conversion kits don't have the LED chips in the same position as the halogen filament, resulting is wacky beam patterns. Hope you like your bulbs. If you think they good, I'd be willing to give them a try so long as I can find a set with low/hi beam capability.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  28. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Had Jeff align my car last night. Man, he is a character! @joebush44 since you were asking it was about 3 weeks from when I first emailed him until I got an appointment. Usually took him 4 or 5 days to respond. Now I just need to find some twisties to test the car out on.

joebush44 and tangledupinblu like this.
  29. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

In case you're wondering. 4 33x12.5r15 mud tires will fit in the back of an '04 Outback:
    [​IMG]

But the spare will have to go on the roof:
    [​IMG]

Cotts612, jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.
  30. tangledupinblu

I believe that is would be a good fit for the "What did you fit in/on your Subaru today" thread as well! lol

Good to know that they fit...you never know when you'll need to fit some 33x12.5r15's in the back.:)

31. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Are you going to have to roll the fenders?

32. Jason C

Stuck this thing on and then did a day trip to St. Cloud and back. Was going 75 on Hwy94 and averaged over 31mpg according to the car's computer. I usually don't trust the computer all that much, but it is a convenient measure at a glance. Past trips have only gotten me about 29-30mpg at best. Most likely a number of other factors for the miniscule mpg bump, but I was simply curious to see if the vortex generator actually did anything. This is the OLM Ver.1 model and has longer and taller fins than the OEM piece, so perhaps it generates more vortices and thus has greater effect?

[​IMG]

33. Krazylegz1485

http://www.airtab.com

klutz, Jason C and Chux like this.
  34. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Scheduled me a chune at JM on June 30th. I took PTO that day too. :)

Hooray for being rid of the OTS Cobb Stage 2 tune.

35. tangledupinblu

Hooooraaaaaaay!!!!!

ocie likes this.
  36. Krazylegz1485

Disregard.

37. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Dual tune or just pump gas? Either way, you'll love it.

ocie likes this.
  38. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I'm just going with 93 pump. Simple, straight forward and something that will give me more smiles per mile.

tangledupinblu and minnesotanice like this.
  39. Jason C

I never held much stock in the aero fuel saving devices or other gimmicks. Figured if they really did save a significant amount of fuel, they would be present on most cars and be mandated by EPA or something. Partly I thought I'd try out the aesthetics, and also see if it did make any miniscule difference in overall MPG.

Sounds like JM is the place to go! Guess I'll have to check in with them about installing a j-pipe and tune for it in the near future.

40. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Just food for thought, 93 can sometimes be a PITA to find, at least it is in Smalltown, USA. In the cities it's probably a non-issue. But even traveling up north, I'd find myself pretty limited as far as higher octane choices go and gas stations get scarce up there. A 91 pro tune will still be much better than a 91 OTS tune. Just throwing it out there. Good luck and enjoy!

Krazylegz1485 and ocie like this.
  41. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joe. That has definitely crossed my mind a few times this week.

Granted, there's a BP with 93 about 1 mile from my house and I do live in cities, there's always the chance of "what do I do when I notice I'm damn near empty with no 93 close by?"

42. tangledupinblu

Keep that sucka topped off every time you pass the BP by your house! lol

ocie and joebush44 like this.
  43. Krazylegz1485

How "hard" is it for them to do a tune for both fuels? Where you could go back and forth on the AP in case of emergency.

44. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

It's definitely easy for them to do, you'd just need to contact them and say you're looking to do both a 91 and 93 tune. Here's what they say on their site:

"At least a half tank of gas you want tuned with example 91, 92, 93, E85. Unless we are doing flex fuel or dual pump/E85 tunes (if dual tune/flex
    fuel we recommend coming in with 1/4th – 1/2 tank)"

http://www.jmautomn.com/performance/

45. Krazylegz1485

No, I totally agree. It was more of a joke than anything. I worked on a truck a few years ago that had them all over the side fairings and over the top of the sleeper. I thought it was hilarious and that's really the only reason I remember these specific ones.

Also, your rear window one looks exponentially cooler than these. Haha.

Jason C likes this.