What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

In that case, you'd be stuck filling up with 91/92 and would have to baby the car. Stay out of boost if at all possible to avoid knock due to the lower octane. Once you find some 93, top it off...but even still you'd have diluted 93 oct if you still have some 91/92 in the tank.

Dual maps are no problem, but you're going to pay more for having dual maps (two tunes essentially). On top of that, it's kind of a pain to have to switch back and forth from one map to another. If you wire your green test connectors on a convenient toggle switch, it's not as bad...keeps you from having to crawl under the dash at the gas station.

If it were me, I'd just go with a 91 tune. Again, 93 isn't as easy for me to find around here and if doing any travelling it can become a burden having to find it or plan your fill ups along the way. I'm not certain there's a whole lot more to gain going 93 over 91 anyway. Definitely not the jump in power you'd get from an e85 map. Just my 2 cents...even though you didn't ask for it :D

DIRTY D and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Your 2 cents are usually worth it, so thanks for the insight. I don't have nearly as much 93 access as I had before. I think there were 2 in Owatonna, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Must be nice living down in corn country, tho, for E85 availability.

joebush44 likes this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Thanks for the link. Really nice checklist of things I've got to check out beforehand, so that'll help quite a bit.

ocie likes this.
  4. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Yep, much easier to find e85 than it is to find 93 down this way! :thumbup:

5. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Thank you for the detail! At this point, the availability drawback of 93 hasn't deterred me from going with it. If it does become a burden, I'll just go back and get a 91 tune too. :D

Totally agree. I found it very useful.

joebush44 likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Admired them from the garage.
    IMG_8061.JPG

ocie and joebush44 like this.
  7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Had a mini MN-Subaru meet on Saturday. Dan, Dan, Jesse, Brian and I went up to the open house at the offroad park in Gilbert. Only me actually driving a Subaru, though, and even then, only for part of the day.

There were also several MNSubaru guys from Duluth that were there.

[​IMG]

Also, our 3-month old slept in her car seat in the car for several hours of mild trail riding. Pretty cool!

8. wsh4sno

wsh4sno Member

Almost done with the semi annual polishing.

First debadged the trunk, keeping just the WRX. Chemical guys for all the products:
    Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    Glaze
    Sealant
    Wax

Of course it's gonna rain at the cabin tomorrow, too. :finger:

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. tangledupinblu

Anytime that I need to water my lawn, i count on people like yourself to wash and wax your car! Thanks!

Also...pics?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  10. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Popped my brake pad job cherry thanks to @silver03 . Thanks again man!!!

11. Krazylegz1485

I swear that guy takes everything from a player... Haha.

He didn't lure you into his tent, did he?

silver03 likes this.
  12. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Tried my hand at putting on a clear bra film across the front of the hood and top of the bumper cover along with headlamps. Wide flat surfaces are easy enough, but the headlamps are virtually impossible to apply a flat film to without wrinkles or having to cut a relief in the corners.

13. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

It's all a part of the MNSubaru brotherhood. It's what we do...

14. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Yesterday I changed my oil with T6 and a Purolator PureOne filter, put in fresh OEM transmission fluid and also put fresh fluid in my rear differential.

Plenty of metal sludge on both magnetized drain plugs. :( Really not sure when it was changed last, but I do notice a difference in shifts after driving up and down 35W a few times last night.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  15. silver03

I put a grim speed master cylinder brace in our 03WRX. I had to grind off roughly a quarter inch over the back edge between the first and third holes so that it would not be rubbing against a brake line coming out of the master. Anyone else find that they had to do something like this?

16. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I did not have to do this on the one I had on my 02 wrx or the one I put on my 2013 BRZ

17. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Heat gun?

18. Jason C

Yup. Used a heat gun, soapy water, various squeegees, etc. Still looked like crap around the corners so I just peeled off the failed attempt. Probably going to have to have Chris at Flawless Front Ends finish up the car.

19. briancustoms

briancustoms Well-Known Member

H&R springs. Doesn't look like a whole lot, but it's enough for me. I'm sure they'll settle a tad. IMG_20170604_212305_911.jpg

Attached Files:

JuStaWRX likes this.
  20. Jason C

Did a spring cleaning of my WRX and my wife's CR-V. I don't understand how my wife manages to accumulate so much crap in her car to the point it's a rolling rubbish bin. Empty soda cans, half finished Starbucks cups, food wrappers and bags, spilled and dried coffee and soda streaks on the dash and door and upholstery, etc. Her past excuse was that she lived in her car when she had to commute from Blaine to the Mall of America and would spend a good 1-2 hours a day in traffic to and from. Now she gets to drive from Fridley to Maple Grove and hardly hits any traffic. I haul the kids to and from daycare 90% of the time and spend more time in traffic and yet my car is multiple orders of magnitude cleaner than hers. The worst I have is some dried salt and sand in the driver side and the back gets occasional apple juice dried on the WeatherTech mats or seat protector. I try to never let a spill dry up before cleaning it and go through my car every other day or so to gather up kid stuff and junk.

I guess it's just a difference in mindset between us. Just today, we went out grocery shopping in my car and when I parked next to the cart return, she flung the door wide and it rang the return railing like a bell. She looked at the door for damage, shrugged, and headed for the store entrance. I, on the other hand, was appalled that she just chipped off a chunk of paint and dented my door edge and didn't give a flip about it. Cars are just tools to her and nothing more. I'm so glad I got a manual gearbox and she can't drive a manual...

Funny thing is, a couple other of my car enthusiast friends have a similar experience with their wives. Worst one was when my friend's 911 Turbo got a long scratch on the passenger side of the hood when his wife put her purse on it and the massive keychain she keeps clipped to it dragged on the hood as her purse slid off and fell to the ground. They got into a fight over it and he ended up being the "bad guy". Even though my car is like 1/5 the cost of his, it still hurts to see something you treasure get damaged by the one you love and they see it as minor as a fart in the wind.

Oh well, guess I'll be installing the fugly door edge protectors now. Maybe I'll put some on her car in case any of you end up parked next to her... Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.

Edit: I do not intend this rant to be an insult to women drivers and I apologize if it seems that way. I know women who take meticulous care of their cars and men who don't know which end of a shop vac to use. I guess it may have to do with my car enthusiast friends and I being dentists and engineers, so we tend to be fastidious about minute things.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  21. tangledupinblu

^i wonder the same every time that i pull multitudes of Burger King bags and empty banana peels out of the car. Every time that i use it i clean it out completely.

Then she gets upset that the "extra napkins from Burger King aren't laying around in it anymore". lol. I still love her tho(she can't drive a manual either ;) )

Jason C likes this.
  22. Krazylegz1485

In the words of one of my childhood heroes, "Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together."

tangledupinblu and Jason C like this.
  23. JasonoJordan

Your not the only one. My wife is the same way. She has gotten alot better about things but only because I "nag" her about it enough that she is finally starting to adjust her habits to stop the "nagging" lol

Jason C and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  24. Jason C

I've nagged her about making some attempts to at least keep her car decent. She tries for a few weeks, then goes right back to her old habits. I'm not the nagging type so I leave it be after a couple times. Fortunately, I enjoy working in the garage and on the cars. I find it to be peaceful and relaxing. At least she appreciates my efforts and doesn't nag me about other things when I'm in the garage.

25. JasonoJordan

Haha yea it can always be worse. Give and take know what battles you have to let go and what ones are worth fighting for your sanity.

Jason C and jubella2 like this.
  26. silver03

All this talk about "others" not keeping their car clean. I get it. I can't believe how dirty Kim let this get underneath the rear bumper cover and I finally had enough and decided to do some detailing back there. I hear you! Thought I would just replace that bumper cover with a new one while I was in there...:p IMG_1337.JPG

Attached Files:

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  27. tangledupinblu

But did you?

28. silver03

Waiting on unbroken styrofoam piece to arrive. So, not yet.

29. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Leaving the grocery store...

Her: [slams the bmw hatch closed]
    Me: That is why I don't let you drive the 911...
    Her: what? why?
    Me: Exactly.

next day...

Her: will you detail my car?
    Me: [looks at scratches that she mentioned over the winter and notices new dings] No.

ocie, Jason C, JuStaWRX and 2 others like this.
  30. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Huh...and I thought I was the only one at this party.

31. Jason C

I'm surprised my wife's car doesn't have the rear bumper dent in the corner (aka: Camry Dent). It's got scratches, scuffs, and dings everywhere. Worst one is when she parked too far back in the garage and the hinge on the garage door dug into the rear bumper when it tried to close. She tried closing the door like some 4-5 times, only to dig a deep series of gouges into the plastic bumper with each failed attempt.

Me upon hearing the garage door go up and down for the 3rd time: " What are you doing??"

Her: "The garage door won't close. It keeps going back up after a certain level."

Me after watching the CR-V's rear end dip slightly when the hinge hits the bumper: "Stop!! The door is hitting the car's bumper! You didn't pull up far enough!"

I run out to the car and she hits the button once more in an attempt to forcefully carve a path for the hinge into the poor bumper. As it comes done once more like a blunt guillotine, I stick my foot out to trip the safety sensor to spare the CR-V further damage.

Her: "I don't get it, I always park in the same place and this never happened before."

Me: " That would explain the other scratches in the bumper. You just parked barely far forwards enough that the hinge only rubbed the bumper and didn't stop on it."

Her: "Oh, ok then.". She turns and goes upstairs to our room to change out of her work clothes.

Me: SMH....

32. JasonoJordan

*Slowly reaches out for a hug*

Jason C and tangledupinblu like this.
  33. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

No wife scratching the **** out of your vehicles, happy life = profit.

Jason C likes this.
  34. Jason C

One of my car buddies is single and he plays the most with cars and other fun toys. He seems to have a new car just about every 18 months or so and go on trips around the world and do other fun things. If I didn't have a family, I know for sure I'd be able to buy the Tesla S I wanted and a lot of other cool things like own more guns, mount the deer I shoot, sleep in mismatched bedding, etc. However, without that wonderful lady who is my wife, I'd never have my two great kids or two crazy dogs. As much as I like to rant about my wife's lack of caring about cars, it's not a battle I'll ever win, so I'll just enjoy my time in the garage trying out all sorts of scratch removal products.

ocie, JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  35. tangledupinblu

Amen brother...preach it! lol. I have come to terms also. The good things that I appreciate about my wife outweigh the few annoying things! Besides...i have some annoying things that i do as well.

Jason C and JasonoJordan like this.
  36. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I don't know what you're talking about :angel::p

Jason C likes this.
  37. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Ha! The mismatched bedding killed me. Both lifestyles have their pros and cons and require big tradeoffs - I'm just being an ass. :cool:

Jason C likes this.
  38. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Those are some funky hubcaps!

briancustoms likes this.
  39. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Maybe she was hoping to hit something other than the bumper...

40. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Diy wash :( :facepalm: :banghead: It was bound to happen eventually I guess. I've had some rock chips on the hood since last August, and must have caught an edge. This just blows

2017-06-14 15.56.58.jpg

41. tangledupinblu

You are only supposed to wash the dirt off!

jubella2, Krazylegz1485 and Cotts612 like this.
  42. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Too much powa! Seriously though, this bums me out big time.

43. Jason C

Wow. So your sponge caught the edge of a paint flake and pulled out those big chunks? That looks like bare metal underneath? Guess it's gonna be a trip to a body shop to make that good look nice again. Or some stickers for HP +50.

44. Jason C

I have no idea, but she is the type of problem-solver that if it doesn't work the first or even the second time, try again till something different happens. I'm just glad she isn't a gambler...

45. tangledupinblu

I pee'd