The Official Watches Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ctracey218, Jun 6, 2014.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Too little too late iridium... I pulled the trigger on an Oris on Friday (Aquis 43mm in black):

[​IMG]

But I absolutely appreciate the comments on the Omega, and I'm sure I'll own one some day. I considered a used one, but I really like the newest version in black the best, and I also want the latest coaxial movement. Plus, for me financially right now, it makes more sense to save for other things (house, I have about 4 vacations in the next 4 months, etc). I also realize that most of the "entry level" mechanical watches are similar, but I feel like Oris has a pretty good value and level of quality.

I'm really liking the Oris thus far, and I'm liking the look more and more every day. Considering it was about a grand cheaper than the comparable Tag, I feel like I got a decent deal as well - I ended up getting the Oris from a local authorized dealer, Continental Diamond. They were very friendly there, even though I was just buying a watch in the lower end of their spectrum.

One more wrist shot:

[​IMG]

Ctracey218 likes this.
  2. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Sharp watch, Jordan. Congrats!

TMF likes this.
  3. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Found this on YouTube today.

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  4. alzilla

alzilla Member

Got married a couple weeks back and my wife surprised me with this on the wedding day!!!!

[​IMG]

And just took this one today after switching it over to a SUIGENERIC NATO.
    [​IMG]

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nice, she's definitely one worth marrying!

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

My new nato straps arrived today:

[​IMG]

Only $5.99 each, but the quality seems decent. We'll see how well they hold up. Nice and cheap way to change up the look!

clajiness likes this.
  7. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Nato straps are neat.

I ordered two more watches yesterday. To some they are 'too trendy', but I like em, so **** it :D

[​IMG]
    and

[​IMG]

pretty excited for them :D

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nixon watches are...nixon watches. To each their own, as long as it's not Invicta crap. Those designs are too wild either, should be fairly timeless. Except the reverse numbered bezel...is that supposed to be a countdown timer instead of count-up? lol

9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Those look waaaaay to trendy for this trollol.

*(They should look good with your skinny jeans tho Derpis!)*

Ctracey218 likes this.
  10. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Well, I turned 25 last week.. Figured a gift was in store for myself.. More pictures to follow

In a round about way, I didn't intend on buying a new watch... I commented on an Instagram posting by Halios and somehow won a contest for a free strap.
    After some back and fourth with Jason (owner/operator) of Halios we settled on a screaming deal for a watch I've had my eye on for some time.
    Details can be found here http://halioswatches.com/tropikss/

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      6.6 KB
      Views:
    SCIFIDELITY and TMF like this.
  11. SCIFIDELITY

TMF likes this.
  12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nice! I've really been enjoying the nato straps I picked up for my watches. They are very comfortable to wear, and it's a easy way to give you watch a new look. Despite the low cost, they have been holding up well thus far also.

13. SCIFIDELITY

Yeah, it's nice to be able not to worry about your band getting dirty, wet, etc.

14. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

SCIFIDELITY,Oct 17, 2014:
    Ok, so maybe it was a hair longer than a year, but I finally pulled the trigger:

[​IMG]

Jomashop had a great deal on "singles day" (11/11), so I went for it. Don't mind the obnoxious orange strap...that's the only strap I have laying around that fits. I'm waiting for the right sized screwdriver to resize the bond bracelet, and I'm also planning on ordering a couple Hirsch straps.

I'm loving it so far...the black dial really "pops". I think it is due to the AR coating on the inside and outside of the crystal....can't even tell it's there.

Ctracey218 likes this.
  15. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

You ruined a perfect opportunity for a primo dick pic.

16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

check your PM's ;)

17. idget

Oh I've been "checking" it for the past 10 minutes, fella.

18. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Great looking watch!

Care to meet up in a secluded place with no witnesses so I can check it out?

19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ha I know how you roll...how about we meet inside the airport? lol

You're welcome to check it out though - I'll probably go a meet sometime soon since it's been a while.

20. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

The airport won't work for me, I'm afraid of flying things. What are your thoughts on lonely rural areas?

Beautiful timepiece though, I'd love to see it at a meet.

TMF likes this.
  21. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

After sitting in customs in Chicago for a week, my new straps for my SMPc finally showed up! Thanks to WatchObession for the great black Friday deal and getting them shipped quickly on their end.

For reference, my wrist is about 6.5".

Hirsch Robby in red:

[​IMG]

Di-Modell Denver Calf in black with white stitching:

[​IMG]

Bond NATO with black PVD buckles:

[​IMG]

Ctracey218 likes this.
  22. tangledupinblu

That Di-Modell looks pretty sweet!

TMF likes this.
  23. derp

derp Well-Known Member

xmas present from the wifey

[​IMG]

tangledupinblu and TMF like this.
  24. idget

Missed the perfect opportunity for a dickpic. Looks like you have a helper in the men's room with you too. Shame.

25. derp

derp Well-Known Member

that's the mouse for my computer, on my desk.

26. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I don't think I showed off this one yet :D

I won a giftcard to Jomashop after my Omega purchase, so I couldn't resist. I used to hate Seiko's for no apparent reason besides I thought they were old person watches. Well, this is now my second Seiko, and I absolutely love it. Simple, durable, inexpensive and looks great. This is the ever-popular Seiko Diver SKX009, aka the Pepsi diver and I put it on a black nato. The dial and the dark part of the bezel are actually navy, but it's tough to see in this pic.

[​IMG]

27. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

The SKX series of Seiko watches are phenomenal. At one point I had a half dozen SKX cases on my desk in various states of assembly. I was heavy into watch modding a while back and made a variety of watch styles using the Seiko Monster and 007 cases. I'll have to see if I have any photos left of my creations.

TMF likes this.
  28. Jason C

Here's a Seiko Monster modded with the genuine Seiko Marine Master 300 dial and hands to make a "Marine Monster". It is the updated version of the Monster and has the 4R36 movement that hacks and handwinds. While the movement isn't decorated or all that pretty, I still do like display backs so I put one on just for kicks. One thing I didn't like about this mod was the date window being too small and it cut out part of the numbers of the date display. The 8L35 movement on the MM300 doesn't share similar dimensions as the 4R36.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SKX007 case with the Marine Master dial and hands for my first rendition of the Poor Man's Marine Master (PMMM)

[​IMG]

A couple generic MM300-style dials and hands in two different cases

[​IMG]

A Seiko 5 military 24-hour style dial in a Monster case for a "Military Monster". Also a lume shot after I had messed around with a Noctilumina kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monster case with an olive-colored dial and matching lume shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 007 case with a 3-6-9 dial from Motor City Watch Works that I relumed and added orange plongeur hands. Added a 2-piece Zulu strap from Maratac straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 1st gen Monster case I sand blasted to a matte finish. It started life as an Orange Monster but I swapped out the chapter ring for a black one to add some contrast. I also lumed the bezel markers and added orange paint to the minute dots. Finished it up with a black Maratac strap with orange stitching. One of my better mods that actually followed a theme. I got a little carried away with the lume paint and ended up adding too much on the hands. Later swapped them for a fresh set of black Monster hands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a picture of my little maltese snuggling his puppy toy in my wife's lap

[​IMG]

TMF likes this.
  29. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Very neat builds! Modding cars...modding watches...there's always something to mod lol

30. Jason C

Always fun to mod watches and it typically is cheaper than modding cars - especially with lower end Seikos.

One thing I'm just a tad miffed about with the new Marine Master 300 is the lack of a sapphire crystal. For a watch in that price range, I would expect sapphire to be standard issue. Instead, Seiko specs their Hardlex glass. I hear that material is more fracture resistant than sapphire, but will scratch more easily. However, being a couple millimeters below the crest of the bezel, I imagine the crystal would be relatively well protected. Suppose I could always stick on a film-type screen protector used for mobile phones.....

If I ever do work up a nerve to mod the MM300, I'd love to adjust the movement to within COSC spec, replace the crystal with a sapphire one, and perhaps see if a ceramic bezel insert is available.

TMF likes this.
  31. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Huh, I had no idea this thread existed until this morning. Here's my current collection, which I'm sure will continue to grow. They're all Citizen Eco-Drive watches so nothing super high-end or expensive, but still nice timepieces. My wife bought me the white-faced one for father's day several years ago because I've always had bad luck with battery-powered watches crapping out on me. She's convinced it's due to my "body chemistry" killing the batteries (which I think is BS, but whatever). Regardless of that, I really liked it and decided to stick with the brand. Never had any problems with them and love the variety of designs they have available.
    2016-12-19 07.50.37.jpg

TMF likes this.
  32. Jason C

Nice collection! Eco-Drive is a great movement. I have one that is at least 10 years old and still running strong. I keep it next to the window to pick up daylight to stay charged when I'm not wearing it.

Your wife may be onto something about body chemistry. One of my co-workers had some unexplainable ability to make stainless steel watches rust. He had a Victorinox watch that developed rust after wearing it for several months. He later got a Tissot that that also showed signs of corrosion after a few months. His latest watch is a titanium Citizen and that one is corrosion-free still after a year. We think it might be something in his sweat or skin. Or he has some mutant power.

pleiades likes this.
  33. tangledupinblu

Probably a PH balance issue?

Cole, maybe you are too acidic? Could be all that New Glarus!? :p

PS, nice collection

pleiades likes this.
  34. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out what I want for xmas and I can't decide between these watches...
    The Hamilton Railroad has an 80 hour reserve and is more expensive than the others but I think I like it the most.
    Some people don't like skeletons but I obviously do, what do yall think?

Railroad: http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h40655131.html
    [​IMG]

Jazzmaster Viewmatic: http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h42555151.html
    [​IMG]

Jazzmaster Open Heart Black Dial: http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-jazzmaster-mens-watch-h32565135.html
    [​IMG]

Jazzmaster Open Heart White Dial: http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h32565155.html

[​IMG]

35. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

If you have to get a skeleton, open hear black gets my vote. I love my Hamilton. Many of their watches use the same movement, but it's always a good one.

Nhibbs likes this.
  36. Jason C

I vote Jazzmaster with black dial. I do like skeletons, but feel that unless the hands are well designed, they can be hard to read at a glance. The black dial helps give contrast to the silver hands.

If I had the cash, I'd love to get a fancy tourbillion. Saw one at a fancy shop in Hong Kong a few years back that rotated on 3 axes to completely mitigate gravitational and positional influence on the balance wheel. I didn't get a look at the price, but I was sure it well beyond my means by a huge margin.

Nhibbs likes this.
  37. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I don't have to get a skeleton I just really like them.
    These watches have 3 different movements it seems, one railroad an 80 hour H-10 movement with reduced frequency to get a longer reserve and I have read some things that they are a pain in the dick to adjust/calibrate.

38. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah those double or triple axis tourbillon movements are ridiculously cool.
    If you have a 3D printer you can print your own!
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/21/print-your-own-triple-axis-tourbillon-trust-me-itll-be-cool/

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  39. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nice collection! My first "nice" watch was a Citizen that I got in the 9th grade, and I also got a second one in titanium during my first job after college. My first has stopped (it's about 14 years old and I also haven't worn it in years) but my second one of still running great. Even though I now appreciate mechanical watches the most, the Eco-Drives are tough to beat in terms of convenience, cost, and performance.
    Come on man, you can do better than a skeleton! Besides being difficult to read, I feel like people wear skeletons because they want to show off that their watch has an automatic movement...and usually skeletons are cheapo's (unless you have a tourbillon, in which case, you are a true baller).

I have a Hamilton and I love the long power reserve. Their movements are typically modified eta movements and they run great.

Here's an option for a non-skeleton Hamilton. I've always liked this one and might even spring for it one day. [nevermind, I can't find the exact one that I used to like, perhaps they don't make it any more. This one is similar]:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/jazzmaster/maestro-auto-chrono/h32716839

But anyway, watches are a very personal thing, and all that matters is if you like the watch...you're the one that's going to stare at it after all. I would just recommend shooting for a timeless design that will be in style for many years to come.

40. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Nhibbs is a tacky bitch, those watches fit him perfectly.

41. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Some thing like this? Really cool mechanics/movement but holy hell is it expensive.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/introducing-the-girard-perregaux-tri-axial-tourbillon

42. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: There is a reason I wrote "Some people don't like skeletons but I obviously do"

Watch snobs smh. I can generalize too, "I feel like people wear Omega's because they want to show off that their watch cost $5k." :cigar:

I just got an apple watch last night anyway so ill probably wait and get an automatic watch for my birthday and Ill definitely get some type of skeleton because Im a mechanical engineer and I like being able to see the movement. I have others and they are not difficult to read.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  43. derp

derp Well-Known Member

let the butthurt flow through you

44. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

:finger: I love you Derp

45. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

FTFY, but I agree. I feel like the Rolex Submariner is the quintessential "I'm in my 30's, got my first big boy job, and need to get a rolex to show off."

Omega's almost fall in the same category, but not entirely...in my unbiased opinion lol. I have always liked the Omega SMP, and I also like Omega's co-axial movement. I found a decent deal on it, so I sprung for it.

If you want to hear the opinions of a real watch snob, check out this guy's blog. Unless the watch company has a true, horological history, and about a 5 figure price tag, the watch is an over-priced piece of over-marketed junk in his opinion.
    http://www.askmen.com/style/watch_snob/

He's definitely an extremist when it comes to his snobbery, but his articles can be entertaining. At the end of the day, pick a watch that YOU like and YOU appreciate...it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Nhibbs likes this.