What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Krazy, mine does, I don't know if it's different for different vehicles, mine cuts off if I try putting it in drive or drop the parking brake, like a normal one. I wonder if they set up the emergency brake cable.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

He was being a smartass, which i was always told, is better than being a dumbass.:)

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I'm legitimately confused here. Does it not say the starter stays on when the door is open? Am I missing something?

4. tangledupinblu

The car stays running when the doors open. So the "remote" starter stays running! lol. Not his physical starter.

5. Krazylegz1485

I get it now. I should probably go back to bed...

Also, pulled the motor from the WRX today to (hopefully) fix a handful of oil leaks. Also swapping out motor and tranny mounts for group N mounts, changing plugs, and putting on a set of headers I scored a while ago.

Unfortunately broke a tooth off the crank timing sprocket trying to get it off, so if anybody has one sitting somewhere, I need one!

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

I think they did. I remember that the OEM one available for my crosstrek in 2014 was the same. The outback is a 2015. I'd have to assume it was a "safety" feature changed at some point.

I think it's dumb that the car turns off when you open a door. I wish it was like all the previous remote starts (a few aftermarkets, and a OEM from GM) were, where it shuts off if you hit the brake with out the key in the ignition. But I would wonder if it has something to do with the push button starts that are available from Subaru?

7. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Did some powder coating.
    [​IMG]

joebush44, Stormtrooper1 and ocie like this.
  8. tangledupinblu

Oh snap!

kongzilla likes this.
  9. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

10. housemusic1

Installed the Optima Red Top. As usual, what should be a quick project took longer than expected. The negative battery post on the Optima is a smaller diameter than my old battery, and I couldn't get the negative terminal tight enough on the post. A quick Google search, turned up battery post "shims". Something I didn't even know existed. So, I took the wife's car to Auto Zone, and a half hour later, we were good to go! Tomorrow, she gets dropped off to fix an exhaust leak and hopefully an alignment next week! 20170704_172511_HDR.jpg 20170704_184611.jpg 20170704_184621.jpg 20170704_191113_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

ocie likes this.
  11. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Did some rides on a bunch of bikes from full rigid fat bike to full-squelch (full-squish fatbike) and I ended up with full-squish Cannondale Scalpel. 100mm travel that can be locked out with a push of the remote. Very handy.

https://mnsubaru.com/threads/what-i...chase-pics-required.38845/page-25#post-862891

I also took the WRX out on a family road trip to the Dells and back for the 4th holiday. Fully loaded up with suitcases, strollers, snacks, etc. with the 4 of us in it, I still managed to average 32.1MPG on the highway going 75mph. I had a bit of buyer's remorse when I went with the WRX instead of the STI, but I know there is virtually no way a STI can get that kind of mileage.

12. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

LMK what you go with...I too am in need of a new battery, and just haven't done it. My buddy is a big proponent of Interstate batteries, and carries them at his shop, so the convenience factor is nice with that. However, I'm open to looking at other brands. This is another area I'm learning about.

13. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

On the way to work this morning, a shredded tire whacked my left headlight and left side of the hood, leaving awesome black skid marks behind. :(

14. housemusic1

Tracked down the exhaust leak. Flange gasket that comes off the headers, and goes to the HFC. Replaced the gasket, and used a high temp silicone to seal it back up. Also located a spot where I'm still getting tire rub. Might need to do an actually roll & pull but may just wait until next spring, since the summer setup will be coming off before you know it. Resized_20170705_092933.jpg Resized_20170705_093139.jpg Resized_20170705_100100.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  15. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

The result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gonna have to call up my insurance company and see what's up...

16. Krazylegz1485

I'd say insert "that'll buff out" joke here, but I honestly don't know that it would. Looks like it might have dented a few places, too?

joebush44 and ocie like this.
  17. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

After taking some tar and bug remover to it, the marks came off. I can see where the initial impact happened, but the average person wouldn't. This is why I'm glad I have a silver car lol. I think I'm going to skip calling my insurance.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  18. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Nope. Sold that a couple years back. Driving a bugeye again.

19. Krazylegz1485

Have you had luck with hi temp silicone on exhaust in the past? I've got a couple slight leaks where the flanges don't meet at exactly the right angle.

20. housemusic1

This is my first experience with it. So I'll be the guinea pig. My exhaust guy is excellent, so I trust his word that it will hold up. It's amazing how quiet my car is now. It had an annoying "blurble", and I just got used to it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  21. Krazylegz1485

Awesome. Is it just hi temp red or is there a recommended brand/type?

22. housemusic1

This is what we used.

Resized_20170706_142941.jpg

23. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

When I yanked my engine, I noticed my exhaust manifold to block gaskets were leaking. I'm not sure if the flanges on the headers are a bit warped or the surface isn't perfectly flat on the head (or both), but this time around I'm going to use some gasket sealant. I'm planning on using thin layer of the "Ultra - Copper" as it has a slightly higher temp threshold as compared to the red (700* vs 650*). I don't know if the ultra copper would be any better of an option over the red for exhaust gasket sealing. Supposedly, "ultra" RTV's are second generation and are supposed to have better flexibility and seal-ability. The Non-ultras are first-gen. So going by that, I'd think the ultra would hold up to flexing better. Hell, idunno. Food for thought.

From a similar thread topic on a different site.
    Red........................High temp...............650*F....Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Blue.....................sensor safe...............500*F...Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Orange.......Sensor safe AND High temp....650*F...Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Ultra-Black.........Max oil resistance.........500*F....Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans ALSO sensor safe and fast curing

Ultra-blue............Sensor safe................500*F...Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, transmission pans, differential covers

Ultra-copper.........Max temperature.........700*F... Exhaust manifolds/ headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housingsAlso sensor safe

Ultra-grey.....High-torque/high-vibration..500*F.....Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings. does not say sensor safe

24. Krazylegz1485

It's a good thing every single one of them says valve covers, so as not to be confusing for which one's the best. Haha. I got HondaBond HT and put it on every gasket and seal I could find. Fingers crossed hard this time.

25. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Yeah HondaBond, FujiBond are both good. I use the FujiBond personally. They are probably the same thing.
    I'm not too familiar using sealant on exhaust gaskets, but going to give the ultra copper a whirl on my ex mani to head gaskets.

26. Krazylegz1485

Also curious to hear your results. I'm gonna fit mine dry and hope for the best, for now.

27. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Been using ultra copper instead of gaskets... header to block and all the way back for 10+ years with no leaks ( I do use gaskets on turbo surfaces)

28. Krazylegz1485

Drove it for the first time in just under two weeks. Pulled the motor last weekend with the main objective being fix the oil leaks (hopefully!), mainly because it was leaking right onto the uppipe. To help justify pulling it, I also did Group N motor & tranny mounts, swapped on some Tomei uel headers I picked up last fall, and changed spark plugs while it was as easy as possible.

Replaced valve cover gaskets, cam & crank seals, oil cooler o-ring, PCV valve, and oil pressure sender. HondaBond'ed everything and am now praying to the Subaru gods that it doesn't somehow leak again. Or at least for a decent amount of time.

joebush44, ocie and Mnelson like this.
  29. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I'm always impressed by you mechanical guys pulling motors, replacing transmissions, suspensions, etc. That just seems like such a major deal to do that it is something I'll probably never get to trying unless I have a spare car, a garage with a lift, tons of tools, and my head full of the know-how to do so.

Aside from my profession, my only area of expertise would be in archery involving bow set up and tuning for both traditional (recurve and longbow) and most compounds as well as arrows and other support gear. Compared to the complexity of a car, that isn't very hard to learn, nor it is very impressive.

klutz likes this.
  30. Krazylegz1485

For me it's always been a combination of having the interest in seeing how things work and also a little bit out of necessity. Unfortunately I can't afford to take the car to a shop even if I wanted to, so I usually take on whatever I can to a) save money, b) hopefully learn something, and c) buy a new specialty tool (if required for said repair) with saved money. Over the years I've assembled a somewhat decent tool collection.

Also, I consider myself to be more of a "parts replacer" rather than a full on mechanic I guess. I don't really have the fancy tools on hand for full on, proper diagnostics, but luckily there's this thing called the interwebs that's pretty close. So luckily I can exhaust myself with research beforehand and usually save myself the "throwing parts at it" headache down the road.

Lastly, there's many a day where I'd love to just take it somewhere and say "here, fix it". It's always pretty gratifying to pull off a repair yourself when everything works out. Conversely, it's a huge let down when you spend a ton of time and think you nailed it only to have something come up again. For example, the valve cover gaskets. I told myself last time if they didn't seal I'd pay to have it done, because it's such a crappy job to do (this time was my 3rd!). Well, I feel like I did it "better" this time and if they somehow don't last or I did something wrong again, I'm done! Haha.

klutz and joebush44 like this.
  31. tangledupinblu

You say that...

joebush44 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  32. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I'm interested in how you like the Group N mounts for sure. That's a lot of work done though, good stuff.

33. Krazylegz1485

So far I'm digging it. My immediate reaction when I first started the car and revved it was "oh... this might not be good". It seemed like I could feel the engine a little more, to the point I thought maybe something was wrong.

That quickly went away about 10 seconds later when I put it into gear. It makes shifting way smoother, especially at slow speeds. I feel like there's always been a slight issue when trying to get into reverse in certain situations. And there's almost zero shaking when you go to start out in first now.

Overall I'd say I'll probably get used to the slightly "noisier" idle over time and isn't much of a burden in exchange for the better shifting experience.

ocie likes this.
  34. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Recently washed it. Foam cannons are neat.
    IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4747.JPG

35. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Ha, I hear and feel every bump in the road with the Group N STI tophats and RCE springs, what's a little more road noise? lol

I'm glad you're happy with it though! Hopefully I can make that upgrade happen in the near future.

36. Krazylegz1485

I got mine on eBay for $200 BIN. Best deal I could find online and it was for the whole set (minus the dog bone thing). Figured I didn't really need the dog bone to murder the already weak firewall.

37. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

38. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

^^^ Drive thru dinner:bounce:

39. Krazylegz1485

I owe you a thank you for this suggestion. Put ultra copper between the down and mid pipes because I was too impatient to wait for a new gasket. I did however have the patience to let it dry 24 hours. The car sounds really weird now that the noise is coming from the rear only.

tangledupinblu and MrBlue like this.
  40. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

If the surface is machined I put it on and bolt it right away

41. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Came back from the cabin and the battery was completely dead in the WRX. Would not take a charge even after being on recondition mode via the charger for 24 hours and was showing code F03 (sulfated). The battery is a Kirkland just 45 months old. Still had the 100 month prorated warranty through them and got a brand new battery (now Interstate) for $37!

JuStaWRX likes this.
  42. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Brand New Subie... '99 Legacy Outback with 0 rust and a completely redone engine. Tons of plans for this that couldn't happen due to rust on my Impreza...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

housemusic1 and tangledupinblu like this.
  43. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Replaced plugs with NGK's in our 95L 2.2 Previous owner had Autolites in there that were at this point gapped as far as .08 and black.

44. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Installed a Nameless Performance 5 inch Exhaust on my XV today. Pretty easy to install, sounds great!

45. housemusic1

I had their muffler deletes, then their 5" muffs. I want to hear this in person. Nameless make a hell of a good product!

MN_XV_712 likes this.